Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Wednesday 22 February 2012

The one about the hens...

"Sweet dreams are made of this", according to The Eurythmics.

Bear with me, I've got a dream to relate.  If you can analyse this you're doing better than I am!

I had this dream about a year ago.  It's memorable because both of our children remind me, "Remember when you had that funny dream Mummy?  The one about the hens."

Ah yes, the one about the hens.  Well.  First of all you need to know about the slide.

There's a photograph somewhere of me and my younger sister aged about 5yrs and 3yrs at Christmas. Probably around 1970/71 I'd say.  We're in the front room of our first house and we're standing on the steps of the slide(!) which Father Christmas had delivered the night before - in our front room!!!!  I know it's Christmas as we're wearing our new matching red dressing gowns with ladybird buttons.  I used to love that dressing gown!  And we're posing holding our Christmas sacks.  More about the slide.  It's got a metal frame (probably about 5ft tall) and the slide bit is probably plywood.  It was painted blue and red I think, and it was in our front room!  I still smile when I think about it.

I don't actually remember that Christmas but for the photo.  What a great reminder, thanks to my Dad (thanks Dad!), he was always an 'early adoptor', a bit of a gadget freak.  He'd put on slide shows, and later in my childhood he got into cine film in a big way.  When the family moved to Hong Kong in 1980 he got a video camera, and he's still doing it.  Latest digital camera, he's got a Kindle and an iPad2 as well...  but I digress.

So, the slide was put into the back garden for us to play on, and we had a swing and a large cabin for a playhouse as well.   It must have featured largely in my childhood as there are more photos I can remember.  (I remember the photos more than the actual memory...what's that all about??)  Blankets on the ground below the slide, and various birthday parties going on - posing on the slide in our swimsuits with ice lollies (was it really always summer then, and were the summers really hot?). And I think there's cine film of us, bigger now, with dreadful 1970s haircuts, polo necks and wide-bottomed trousers (must be Spring or Autumn then), running down instead of sliding down the slide...

So, to the dream.

I'm back in back garden of my childhood home, and the slide is there.  As are my hens. (you met them in the previous blog).  My hens are hopping up the steps of the slide, sliding down the slide and then as they gain speed they're propelled on an upwards trajectory towards a large black curtain - like a cinema or theatre curtain, heavy velvety and quite dramatic.  My hens bounce into the curtain and rebound over the slide to land onto Roly's (our dalmation) back.

End of dream.

No.  I don't understand it either.  There was NEVER, as I remember, a theatre curtain in the garden.  But it's made an impression on our children as they both remember it quite clearly.  I sometimes wonder if they think they've dreamt it themselves...  who knows?  Well now you do.  So make of that what you will.

On the subject of not sleeping (but dreaming), I noted this report (on BBC news website) on sleep today.  Thought it made interesting reading, particularly with my insomnia tendencies at the moment...  hope the link works.  Myth of 8 hour sleep

I've started reading the final part of the Pat Barker 'Regeneration' Trilogy - The Ghost Road.  Only one chapter in, so will report back when I've finished it.

On the Letcombe circular route we take - May 2011 - just to remind us of what the spring looks like round here - something to look forward to!

Thanks for reading.  Keep it sweet (dreams?).  :)  Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment