Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday 1 September 2014

Doing the right thing...

They don't make it easy sometimes.  The number of decisions we make on a daily basis seems to be growing, and it's all time consuming and thus frustrating.  Slow internet links beg the question 'to bother to wait, or not to bother?'.  Traffic decisions are second nature, both as a driver and as a pedestrian.  Household chores priorities constantly change depending on a multitude of factors - the weather, the children's innate predisposition to being untidy, number of visitors and frankly whether my nerves will stand the kitchen floor being that grubby for any longer....

Shopping is a maze of decisions and we usually fall back on tried and trusted favourites, for many reasons.  Selecting what we've bought before re-inforces brand loyalty, shopping at the same shop ditto, although there is the advantage of usually knowing where things are - so long as they've not re-arranged the aisles again.

But.  My mantra (to myself, and to the children) while shopping is: 'they want my money', so I try to shop intelligently, beat them at their game, and thereby keep the costs down.  If I've got time I will study the price 'per 100g/kg/500ml/ltr/sheets per roll/tissues per box' details on the pricing strips and select my items accordingly.  Sometimes 2 packs of 9 toilet rolls is better value than the jumbo family pack of 16 rolls.  You've got to keep your wits about you.  And a bit of mental maths helps.

I've been disappointed by a recent purchase of Ecover Washing Detergent.  Here's a link to their website:  http://uk.ecover.com/en/laundry/product/laundry-liquid-non-biological 

Having an urge to be an eco-warrior, but living in the 'real world' with a real family, I like to think I do what I can.  So purchasing an eco-friendly washing detergent, stroked my ego, and let me think I'd be doing my bit for the environment.  It's not my normal brand, as it's usually too expensive (comparatively), but it was on special offer, and had extra branding to say it was 'Good Housekeeping Institute' endorsed 2014.

Performance wise it does the job.  The washing appears clean, and the washing machine certainly froths with detergent bubbles nicely, which can be difficult with other brands as we live in a hard-water area.  However, once washed, I was disappointed to find that the washing doesn't smell good.

It's not scented, in as much as they've not put in artificial scent or even natural scent.  This goes with their ethos, and in principal I approve of this gentle way of treating our clothes, and as the used washing water goes into the drains, I appreciate the ecological impact is lessened by the ingredient list they use in Ecover products.

My head understand the 'nature' of the product, but in practice, my heart and nose say 'no'.  In doing the right thing I've been sold a dud, and in order to minimise the effect of the smell of the 'unscented' laundry I've taken to adding an extra rinse to the washing machine cycle.

How does this save the earth, or my pocket?  I'm using/wasting more water to rinse the unscented smell out, and therefore my water bill will increase by the extra volume of water used.  A false economy to my mind, and negative enforcement of the ecological message.

It seems I can't do right for doing wrong.... so in this instance, and not wishing to wear clothing that smells 'like a hippy', but not in patchouli way, on my next purchase of washing detergent I'll be testing the scent BEFORE I buy.  Nothing wrong with 'hippies' mind you, I just prefer my washing to smell nice and clean rather than just clean.

Keeping it real!

Kat









No comments:

Post a Comment