Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday 19 November 2012

Water under the bridge

A LOT has happened since this time last year.   Thankfully mostly good.  I've got a job I love at the Library.  Simon's working very hard and his job is going well.  Phoebe passed her entrance exams and is now attending the school she wanted to go to.  And Tom is your normal 6 yr old boy with the usual passions (Lego, Moshi Monsters, Monsuno etc).

I've learned a lot about myself.  Some good, some not so good.  Some emotional stuff, some personal stuff and some physical stuff.  I've cut out alcohol.  I'd been heading that way instinctively.  I'd stopped enjoying having a drink several years ago.  The taste didn't do it for me anymore, and the effect was to disrupt my sleep and wake me up with a dry mouth - even on one glass of wine... Whether it was the mix of stress and cortisone (stress hormone), or just my middle aged female hormones messing me around I don't know, but since I consciously gave up alcohol at the start of the year I've been feeling more centred, grounded, happier.  And sleeping better as well.

I've cut down on dairy.  Swopped milk on my breakfast cereal for soya milk.  Cut out cheese.  Cut down on yogurt.  This seems to have helped reduce my hot flushes immensely.  Or is it the improved stress levels now our employment issues are resolved?

In all the bother of the personal issues which resulted from the business going down last year, it transpired that I have high blood pressure.  The medication I'm now taking is working well and I'm feeling better, although the hbp was symptom free before diagnosis, so explain that!

Our dog is older and it shows.  He's smelly, as in dog smell and also fartier (is that a word?).  I've been telling other dog walkers that he's nine and a half for the last six months or so, so he must, by now, be ten.  We keep him light to avoid any flare up with his back problem, which is 3 yrs ago this Autumn.  Also if he's lighter it's easier on the joints, and he does seem creakier in himself, when he turns and turns to lie down, he's obviously stiff in places, morning and night.  I'll start giving him cod-liver oil capsules again (dog breath plus fish breath, ugh!).

Autumnal Berries in Ardington

So I'm still reading 'Blaming' by Elizabeth Taylor - will finish it although I don't care for any of the characters, her writing is good - easy and and well aimed, but I'll be glad to get to the end.  

I've actually read another book in the meantime.  'The Paperchase' by Louis Theroux.  This was a good read, although the denouement was actually a bit too clever and didn't satisfy entirely.  

I've finally started reading 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' by DH Lawrence.  Nothing happened yet, two chapters in, but it's obvious what it's building up to, and his descriptive passages of the town and the setting up of the characters and the scene are expertly done, and again, not at all heavy going. Will reserve judgement on the actual 'nitty gritty' so to speak, as haven't got that far yet!

I don't usually read two or more books at once, but the Elizabeth Taylor has me at once annoyed and held captive - I don't really care for the characters at all, but I want to see how it turns out.... which probably says more about me than the book.

On that I'm off to bed.

ttfn.
Kat


No comments:

Post a Comment