Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Wednesday 27 February 2013

Bargain hunting!

So I bagged a bargain yesterday.  Popped into the charity shop in Grove, looking for cheap saucepans for Tom to wear on World Book Day on 7th March.  The usual thing, go to school dressed as your favourite character from a book... Tom and I are currently reading the Enid Blyton trilogy of Faraway Tree stories - 'The Enchanted Forest', 'The Magic Faraway Tree', and 'The Folk of the Faraway Tree'.


Tom's particularly enjoyed the Saucepan Man with his deafness and mis-heard words.  I'm just revelling in nostalgia as these were my favourite books when I was his age. Lovely.

Anyway, I did find an individual stainless steel teapot for 70p, which has come out all shiny from the dishwasher. More to work on for the costume, and there's time to play with.  But.  My real bargain was a vacuum cleaner.  I know what you're thinking, it's not remotely like a saucepan, but when you see a bargain in a charity shop you've got to get it.

So the vacuum cleaner in question is a Miele S7210 in lemon yellow!  It said it had been tested and cost me £40, with 1 pack of unopened bags included.


Now, obviously you've to keep your wits about you buying electrical goods 2nd hand, but this seemed genuine to me.  I've already replaced the dust and exhaust filters and it works just fine, much better suction than my existing vacuum!  'Which' magazine say it was one of their 'bestbuys' when launched in September 2008.  And the current rrp is £270 or so.  So I've got a 4-5 yr old MIELE vacuum cleaner for £40 which, to my mind is a bargain!!!

Simon and Phoebe were both incredulous when I showed them my purchase.  Why do you need that? was their question.

Well.  Seeing as I'm the only one here who ever does the vacuuming, and also seeing as my existing Sebo X1 vacuum is over 12 years old, and stinks of dog, even with the in-bag freshners, it seemed blindingly obvious to me why I'd want to trade up to a Miele, even second-hand.

Sebo X4 - the current version of my X1 vacuum cleaner
What to do with the Sebo?  The drawback was I'd only just got a set of replacement bags for the Sebo.    Cost me £24 for 10 bags, was £21 last time.   So I don't feel like freecycling it straight away.  I'll keep it on the go for the timebeing, to ensure the Miele isn't a dud.  Once I'm half-way through the bags for the Sebo, and confident of the Miele, I'll offer it on freecycle.

Well, guess what I'm doing this afternoon....  vacuuming of course!

Thanks for reading, keep it sweet,  Kat ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment