Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Friday 2 August 2013

Brain melt

Another hot day - the hottest of the year - yesterday, and I'm disinclined to catch up with anything.  Chasing the shade was the name of the game, and we turned some of the lights off in the Library in an attempt to keep cool...  I never understood why the 'Shops, Office and Factories Act' or whatever it's called has a minimum temperature, but doesn't state a maximum temperature to work in.

I mean, you can always put on more clothes to get/keep warm, but when it's too hot you can only take so many off!  A bit of google searching finds:

( Workplace health, safety and welfare. Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992. Approved Code of Practice)
An acceptable zone of thermal comfort for most people in the UK lies roughly between 13°C (56°F) and 30°C (86°F), with acceptable temperatures for more strenuous work activities concentrated towards the bottom end of the range, and more sedentary activities towards the higher end.

Something sensible from the HSE (Health and Safety Executive)!  Well I never.  We hit 28'C in the Library with the windows and door open and the fan on, and there was no other way to cool down.  I'll show this to my boss next time we have a heat-wave, and maybe we'll have to close for the afternoon!  Dream on...

So, here's a quick recap of the Summer Holidays so far.  We had an early week away in France as both children's schools had broken up before the state sector, so no childcare available.  It was the middle of the heatwave, and the weather was glorious. The children, and we adults, hit the beach every day.  Its' the first time that's happened, and I think because the weather was so exceptionally nice it made sense (to me) for the first time.

Plerin les Rosaires - plage (beach)
So the kids played, the French sunbathed, and I took to the water like the French women of a certain age.  In as much as I walked in the seawater between knee and thigh deep for 20 mins that way and then 20 mins back again.  Quite a good work out, and I'm fairly sure my core strength improved.  That's what I'm telling myself anyway...

The beach is perfect - wide and flat, and is described in our battered copy of the 'AA Explorer Guide to Brittany' thus:
...'the splendid 3km (2 mile) beach of Les Rosaires to the south.' ...

There was one day when the sea fog beached up and stayed for the afternoon, and being British we braved the elements ... along with the French...

sea fog on the beach - eerie!
It's the first time since becoming a Mum that I've actually felt relaxed on holiday with the children. They didn't get on my nerves until the Thursday...  Must be an age thing - theirs and mine I suppose.  We'll have to see how I get on for the rest of the summer.

Wildflower planting in front of the church on the drag down the hill to the beach at Les Rosaires
Anyhoo, time to get the hens to bed, and I've a book to read, and work tomorrow morning, so will stop here and try to blog more soon.

Keep it sweet!  Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment