Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday 28 July 2013

My weather report

It finally rained yesterday.  Woo-hoo! We'd been in the throes of a proper summer heatwave. Which in this part of the country meant over 3 weeks of hot hot sun and no rain.

By hot hot sun think over 25'C and some days peaking at 29'C, (and in my car the temperature reading was 32.5'C and as  it's a basic model it has no air-conditioning other than to wind down the windows), no wind, dry but sometimes humid, and staying warm at night, circa 20'C.

Now.  I know that sunshine is nice and it makes most people happier,  but... it's hard not to sound like you're complaining when I say 'it's too hot'.  I should add the epithet 'for me' to that statement.

I was going to say that in this type of weather I'm a typical English rose and wilt.  I'm good for nothing much and have to avoid the burning rays as much as I possibly can by staying indoors with all the curtains drawn.

Actually, on closer observation of my garden, I noticed that my roses hadn't really wilted in the heat, but my tomatoes had... so what does that make me?  LOL! as my daughter would say, although probably she wouldn't say, because she's rather say 'Mummy, you can't say LOL'.  Ah, me.

Dog walking needed to be done early before the sun got too high, and Roly actually submitted to a hosedown to help him cool down, so it must have been hot.

But that's all behind us now.  The forecast for the next week or so is for rain, with maximum temperatures of around 20-22'C. Much more acceptable.

So, here's a thought.  Where do bees shelter from the rain if they're caught out?  I'd been photographing the bee activity on the echinops flower heads in my garden ... and when I went to lock up the hens during a lull in the rain they were hiding on the underside of the globular form of the echinops, very clever those bees.

Didn't have my camera in the rain, but thought you might like this one before the 'storm'...

more later
Kat :)





No comments:

Post a Comment