Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday 12 November 2013

Christmas is coming - and not in a good way!

I don't like Christmas.  There.  I've said it out loud.  Bah humbug!  Mrs Scrooge, pray tell, why don't you like Christmas?

That's not an easy question to answer.  The obvious answer is the extra unwanted financial pressure put upon parents, and gift givers, by the consumerist society we live in.  The constant run-up, build-up, getting ready for, anticipation, practice - like a military manoeuvre, or an athelete in training, or a stage manager preparing a show in the theatre - that we are bombarded with in shop windows, magazines, newspapers, on the internet, on the TV (both in the programme content, and commercials), on the radio and in daily conversation 'are you ready for Christmas yet?' they innocently ask.

It's become competitive.  Or at least that's how it seems to me. And the competition is driven by the money-takers, the profit motive, the share-holders wanting their dividend, or else how will it end?  It'll end in tears, make no mistake, it usually does.  And the problem with this, as I see it, is that little (and sometimes big) children don't see the tactics, only the glitter, and they're sucked in and suckered up, and are not satisfied any more.... because they want what they see and it's as simple as that.  But it's not, is it?

I begrudge the expectation.  I begrudge the lack of spontanity that this enforced gift-giving season has on my finances.  If I want to give a present to someone I want to give it when I see it, in the "I saw this, and thought of you" sentiment, (and when I can afford it), and not when some modern tradition dictates.  Because at this time of year it feels like I'm being dictated to, coerced, cajoled and pushed into doing something I find distasteful, this vulgar display, over which I have little control.

The problem is that buying all the presents at this one time of the year seems to me to be ridiculous.  I have to plan, and scrimp and save, (just like everyone else) to what end?  To appear to be generous, loving, kind?  I'd rather set my own agenda for when I demonstrate these qualities, thank you, and not be bent to the shop-keepers timetable for profit.  Bah humbug!

And the consumerist aspect of it is so all-consuming (all puns intended) that the real message can become too easily lost.  But what, I hear you ask, is 'the real message'?  The obvious answer is the Christian message of the birth of Christ.  Which is fine, if you have, and follow, the Christian faith.  But that leaves a heck of a lot of us 'out'.

So, in this conflicted state of mind, we have two children to consider...  whose childhood memories of this 'special time of the year' would be forever tainted/tarnished if we didn't join in and play up to the stereotypical festivities. Or would they?  Don't worry.  I know the rules, and I'm a good girl at heart.

But I wonder.  Would their memories be ruined if we didn't give them the latest trend/toy/gadget/gift.  If we didn't produce the traditional Christmas day meal of turkey and Christmas pudding.  If we didn't have a Christmas tree in the living room.  If we bunked off, played hookey, spent the money differently and did something together which we'd all enjoy instead.  Now there's an idea!

Actually, I'm not as 'bah humbug' as that.  It seems to me that Christmas is a time for children.  I genuinely have no interest in opening presents for myself.  Sorry to disappoint those of you who know me.  If I want something I either buy it or save up for it.  I haven't the time or inclination to think of a list of presents that other people may want to give me.

OK, so maybe I am 'bah humbug' after all... and there must be other adults out there who feel this way.  Look at all the 'unwanted gifts' afterwards that are donated to the charity shops, sold on e-Bay, put into WI raffles, or given away on freecycle...

But for children, making a list is their way of expressing a means of control in their life, if but for a brief moment. And the joy on their faces on opening the presents they receive is priceless, and we parents fall for it every time.

So, Christmas is coming.  Inevitably.  Like a freight train, or container ship, there's no stopping it, and no denying it.  And in my usual conflicted way I'd put it off, and said I would't do it this year, it won't do me any favours, but eventually the craving won out.  Can you guess?

I made my Christmas Cake.


It's called 'my' Christmas Cake because the rest of my family don't like fruit cake, or xmas pudding, but they might squeeze a mince pie (home-made mince-meat) in.

So, 'am I ready for Christmas yet?'.  No.  Kat.








No comments:

Post a Comment