Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday 26 January 2014

Mopey hen and other birds...

Sundays just fly by round here, even rainy ones.  Up, late for me, 8am.  I'd like to lie-in, but I'm nervous/cautious of the dog now he's over 11 years old.  We've come down to the odd accident after 8.30am, and I don't like to chance it - not a good start to a morning really, is it?

So all fine downstairs, and I let the dog out, walked down the garden and let the hens out, back in the house, fed the dog, made tea and went upstairs to let Simon know the time - 8.20am, and he's usually out with his running group at 8.30am.....  it wasn't pre-meditated that I didn't tell him the time/wake him earlier, but I didn't get much thanks for letting him know either.

Washing machine loaded and on, breakfast at a leisurely pace, read a chapter of my book, dressed and Tom dressed, and as it was raining we set to and tidied Tom's room.  Knocked up a pan of leek and potato soup, washing load out, had lunch, and after humming and ha-ing decided to bite the bullet and walk the dog in the rain.  Forecast for heavy rain all day, so had to do it sooner or later.

Back home from dog walk, both of us soaked, towelled the dog, and then I thought I'd check on the hens, in particular the one in moult with the knitted jacket I'd made - to see how it was holding up in the rain.  Actually we'd noticed yesterday that it had developed a baggy gusset - she must have been pushing at it with her feet, but I was more concerned about the rain.

Turned out I was wrong to be worried about the rain. She'd managed to get the baggy gusset twisted round her legs somehow, impairing her walking, and worse, rubbing her legs on the wet wool, or the safety pins.  I was worried that she'd impaled herself, and as she was sheltering under the table which keeps the food dry I managed to catch her quite easily.

No. The safety pins were intact, but her wings looked rather raw as well as the legs, so I decided to take the jacket off. Some feathers have now come through, so she should be OK.  No. Wrong again. Funny things, hens.  Her companion had taken to pecking her.  I observed and it was obvious that this was more of a problem, not the jacket.  She had taken a pecking and her confidence was gone, so she was an easy victim.

I don't like having to do this, but I separated them.  Past experience has shown that when hens peck other hens it's a slippery slope if you don't act quickly.  Luckily I've got a rabbit hutch (no rabbits) which I use as my 'hen hospital'.  So I quickly gave it a spruce up, and with help from my daughter we moved her in.

Cup of tea, and the weather had brightened up, so I took the opportunity to sit at my kitchen window and observe the birds for the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch annual survey - see link:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birdwatch/

From my kitchen window 2pm-3pm today I saw:  bluetits, great tit, long-tailed tit, robins, chaffinch, starlings, sparrow, blackbirds, great spotted woodpecker, wood pigeons and collared doves.  I didn't see our other usual suspects - magpie, greenfinch, goldfinch, bullfinch and jay. But I did have my camera - the woodpecker was incredibly camera shy, even through the glass, and wouldn't pose when feeding but I caught him a couple of times...








It's really not easy taking photos of birds through a kitchen window..... but I tried.

Nighty night.  Kat :)





No comments:

Post a Comment