Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday 10 February 2014

May you live in interesting times.....

..... indeed.

2014 seems to be one thing after another.  In January, the first week back to school brought the news that Tom’s prep school was likely to close at the end of the academic year.   After careful consideration we decided to take Tom out of that school, and luckily we managed to get him a place very quickly at the local state school down the road.  He’s been there 2 weeks now and the transition has been relatively painless for him.  I say luckily because the state sector schools in this area are all ‘full’ and places are not guaranteed in your first choice.

From the 7th to the 13th January we were affected by flooding from the overloaded mains sewer drain (‘hydraulic overload’) backing up and spilling out from our inspection chambers.  Our neighbours' drains also flooded into our rear garden for the same period of time.  (See previous blogs).  I telephoned Thames Water daily to report the incident, and, as previous incidents of this nature had normally receded within 12-24 hours, I decided to take my obvious complaint and concerns further.

I contacted both my District Councillors, who happen to live further down the road, my County Councillor, and also lodged my concerns with the Environment Agency.  As a result of my discussions with them I have had a visit from a man from the Environmental Health Department of the local Council, and also had a meeting arranged  for later today with my County Councillor, her contact from Thames Water, and a Thames Water Asset Manager.  Unfortunately this meeting has been postponed due to the developing flooding emergency and the direct problems in the Oxfordshire area of the Thames basin.

We are presently enduring further flooding which began on Thursday 6th February, and which I have again reported to Thames Water on a daily basis.  Because the water table has been unable to drain away since January floods, and the rain has been unprecedented 'since records began', the current situation with our flooding is worse than before.

8.2.14  The deepest water at the furthest point from our back door (outside the 'playhouse') - but it went on for 4 days again and the land naturally dips down towards the end of the garden.

8.2.14  Roly going where my wellies just went!
8.2.14  deja-vu?  We've been here before....

9.2.14.  This is the sunken ornamental pond in the dis-used garden of the derelict property (awaiting demolition) next door to us.  Some of this is rainwater.  Some of this is ground water.  Most of this is run-off from the flooding in my garden these past 4 days....
I have spoken again today with my County Councillor about the ongoing problem, and she is confident the planned meeting with Thames Water will be re-arranged for later this week.  I have been in contact with the Environment Agency again, and yesterday e-mailed photos of the ‘hydraulic overload’ flooding to them, which is affecting 4 properties including ours.

On top of all this, we have now got electricians in the house who are checking our circuits because we  have had something tripping the fuse box since Friday.  There is a possibility that the flood/groundwater has risen under the house and is tripping the circuit from there.

So, we try to remain cheerful in the face of all this adversity.  There’s no point in getting stressed, and we’re taking positive action rather than pointing the finger of blame and stewing about it.  That way madness lies.

On a brighter note, the snowdrops are everywhere, I've started my new job at Witney Library and am loving it, and I had lovely day out at the WI’s Denman College making marmalade last week.


I’d fill you in on all the details myself, but it turned out that a fellow marmalade lady also writes a blog and she has covered it much better than I would have done - so for marmalade enthusiasts read on:

http://missreevesrecipes.wordpress.com/2014/02/08/hate-marmalade-learn-how-to-make-it-its-liquid-sunshine-too/  

You may see photos of yours truly if you look closely, and there are of course, photos of marmalade!

Keeping it real!  Kat  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment