Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Thursday 27 March 2014

Making it happen ... also known as 'Plan B'

There are certain experiences we all go through, both as children and adults.  On Tuesday it felt like Tom and I shared something akin to a rite of passage, which strengthened our bond as we struggled through the adversity thrust upon us.   Okay, perhaps I exaggerate, but it felt like a saga, and I was exhausted at the end of it all.

I took Tom to a supplier in Faringdon to get him a top for Cubs.  This wasn't on a whim, we'd finally got the date of his 'swim-up' ceremony whereby he leaves Beavers and moves up to Cubs, and he needed a Cub top for that.  I'd phoned the supplier the previous week to check they had stock, and took Tom along to ensure the size was right.

Well, that was the plan.  Unfortunately when we got there on Tuesday after school they said sorry, but they'd sold out.  They'd have stock in again later in the week.  Not good enough.  I explained that he needed it the next day, and after some discussion asked if they knew of another stockist nearby.  The assistant could see my dilemma, and took pity on me.

She Google searched, and telephoned, and hey presto! a different supplier in Swindon had them in stock.  I asked them to put a couple of sizes aside, and said we'd be there as soon as it took me to drive from Faringdon.

Ahem.  Easier said than done.  I can count the number of times I've been to Swindon on 4 fingers, and I've not driven there myself.  The Sat Nav was in Simon's car (he was in Glasgow), and I only had a 2013 AA Road Atlas and Oxfordshire Road A-Z in my car.  Swindon's streets weren't in either...

Luckily, while on the phone to the other supplier, the assistant in Faringdon got directions to the shop in Swindon, and then gave me instructions to find the shop....  here are the notes I took.


Don't ask me how, but we got there, and I went over the infamous 'Magic Roundabout' - first time for me driving myself....

image from Wikipedia 
Actually, that's a lie, I didn't 'go over' it,  I stayed left hand lane in two of the roundabouts to take me over.
image from BBC
So with frayed and jangled nerves, we got there, found the shop, bought the tops, and then we headed home and had to re-fray and re-jangle the nerves with the Magic Roundabout again.  Twice in one day.
Frazzled.

Well now, are you just a tiny bit impressed with my navigational skills?

I have to admit, I surprised myself.  I was fully expecting to fail, to get horribly lost in Swindon, then run out of time, and return home in the dark and empty handed, and have to borrow a top for the ceremony.  Scroll up to those directions again.  I mean, I didn't even have an address.  Really???  It's no wonder I have to dye my hair, the grey's beyond a joke.

Still, it was worth it in the end.  Tom's 'swim up', properly attired, went, swimmingly, and he'll be officially invested into Cubs on Monday.


Happy child. Frazzled Mum.  That's what it's all about.

Keeping it real.  Kat.

No comments:

Post a Comment