Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday 1 April 2014

April foolish

The intrigues of family life fascinate me.  No, don't worry, I'm not about to spill the beans, but the back-story to all our lives, if written down, would make a great aga-saga, a 'fam-dram' in modern abbreviated text-speak, the likes of which, I dare say, could be filmed for TV in period costume (1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s.... you get the picture)... and I don't just mean my/our family life.  This applies to you and yours as well.

Signpost on the Ridgeway
We wrote another chapter at the weekend with the immediate clan gathering to celebrate the great patriarch's 80th birthday.  My wrist was metaphorically slapped by my aunt for the insensitivity I displayed in my earlier blog, (Swimming through treacle, 3rd paragraph).  Guilty as charged, and I'm sincerely sorry if feelings were hurt, that was not my intention.  I can only say I think I was trying to convey the pressure of being a middle-aged parent trying to do too many things with too little time, and I didn't think about how what I said would sound to those who matter to me.  Sorry.

... this is when I'm tempted to upgrade my camera - I think  it was a kestral, but my zoom only allowed me to get this close....
Assuming we maintain good health, I'd say that there are advantages to growing older:  knowing yourself being uppermost of these.  In as much as, having gained enough life experience, we know the basics - essentially right from wrong - and have learned how to apply them appropriately/correctly/honestly in most situations.  We should have learned not to make the same mistake again - to avoid hurting ourselves or others unnecessarily.  We appreciate that treading gently is just as likely to get you where you want to go, and if we meet an immovable obstacle on the way then the best thing to do is go around it.

tractor tracks near the Monument on the Ridgeway...
At my age, 48, coming up 49, I call myself 'middle-aged'.  This is accurate on several levels.  My father is now 80.  My son is 8.  I am, approximately, in the middle.  In the span of my life, it is likely that I am in also, hopefully, somewhere in the middle.  Physically, things are slipping more towards my middle, but not as badly as some you see...  And reading back through this blog, you will see that I am, more often than not, pulled in this direction and that, trying to do more than seems possible, seemingly in the middle of everything, when really I would be better off standing to one side and letting some of it go.

Through woods near Lockinge point-to-point course - to go up to the Ridgeway
There is no point in dwelling on it.  It is as it is.  And as I've said before you can't turn back time.... Well, in this country we can, because the clocks go forward as well as back, (British Summer Time started at the weekend) and that must be why I was so tired and reluctant to get out of bed this morning.  So on that note, I feel an early night coming on.

Nighty night y'all.

Kat.





No comments:

Post a Comment