Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday 7 January 2013

In praise of ....

THRIFTINESS.

I admit it.  I'm a charity-shop hag.  A bargain hunter.  An anti-consumer consumer.  A freecycler recycler upcycler rejigger, make-do-and-mender.  So what's new I hear you ask?

Well.  I've been doing this all my life.

When I was a teenager we lived out of town, so getting a Saturday job was difficult. I had a paper-round, and was no stranger to 6am starts.  But, it was good experience and meant I had a little cash to spend in town, and Saturday day time to myself.

Still, the pay was meagre, so shopping as such meant being inventive.  Also, I had that rebellious streak, so back in the 1980s, when I was a teenager, fashion to me was found in the charity shops, where the 1960s winkle pickers could be found....

I would wobble around Blackburn precinct thinking I looked the 'bees knees' in shoes such as these...

Since having children, and thus, less/no disposable income as such, I've continued in my quest for the bargain.  I've reasoned that since babies have no concept of designer this and designer that then second-hand will be absolutely fine.  And, since children grow so quickly there's no way I'm spending £15 on a pair of jeans that will be out grown before they're outworn.

And, the charity shops benefit from my spending, which is much more to my liking.

I've also continued to shop for my own clothing items from charity shops, the only exception being underwear (ditto children).  I can't remember the last time I paid full price for anything clothing wise, and when Phoebe's been given vouchers to certain clothes shops and I've seen the full price of things, or even if I steer her to the sale rail, I've winced at the tags....

So allow me to shock you, and then let you into a little local(ish) secret.

On the hunt over these Xmas holidays for Phoebe to find her some new winter boots.  We think her feet have finally stopped growing.  Size 8.5 and size 8.  She's 12....  Her last year's boots were flapping at the toes, and apart from looking scruffy they're also dangerous.

We have now discovered that most UK high street shops stock ladies adult size footwear in 3-8.  So finding the half size above that Phoebe needs is difficult to say the least.  No matter what price bracket we looked at, regular shop or in the sale, we couldn't find her size.  Her school shoes are thankfully available in sizes to fit her (at Clarks, so no cutting corners there then!), and the same goes for her sports shoes, although the sports shop man had to go to his store room 3 times to find hockey boots to fit properly...

So to the hunting.  Whilst in Matalan in Newbury I bought myself  (SHOCK!!!) a pair of simple black leather 'Mary Jane' style shoes for work.   Thought I'd splash out.  They cost £18.  Matalan, is after all, quite a cheap shop.  No joy for Phoebe though, so I thought I'd try my favourite bargain hunting ground in Newbury to see if the Gods were on my side.

30 years later this is my shoe of comfort for work...  how times change!
This is the SECRET:

Off the Hambridge Road in Newbury is a warehouse called, quite catchily, 'The Clothing Warehouse'.  It buys second-hand clothes (I asked them, they told me) by the ton(ne) from wholesalers.  These clothes may  have been donated to charity, (so funds have been raised), or may be seconds, end of season lines, or bankrupt stock.  Either way, they sell them as cheap as charity shops and sometimes you can really find a bargain.  Sometimes new items are mixed in, but they price them to sell, and usually only add 50p as the premium for it being new.  There's Tesco own lines mixed in with Next, M&S, Monsuno and Matalan and more. You have to keep your wits about you, and there's not much of a display ethic. The clothes are crammed together on hangers so tightly that you think you might lose your wedding ring.

This is the antithesis of a retail experience.  But if you want a bargain this is where you come. And if you're trying to save money in these austere times I recommend it.  Especially if you've got children.

They actually do have one part of the building laid out more to meet a shop-style expectation. This is the expensive bit where the higher end, smarter, nicer stuff is to be found, but it's still cheap by comparison. It's also the charity shop experience in that there's only one off of each item, so what you see is what you get, and if it's not there in your size then they've not got it.  Once you've got used to shopping like this you can have a lot of fun.

So this weekend, after I'd spent the extortionate(!) amount of £18 on a new pair of shoes (for work) (first new pair of shoes for me for at least 4 years, may be longer come to think of it), I got at the Clothing Warehouse, a nice pair of 'Geox' summer shoes £4 (as new, still had their price tag on the underside of the shoe between heel and sole £29.99), an 'East' silk blouse £5, and a green cardigan to go with £7(expensive!).  £4 + £5 + £7 = £16 for blouse, cardi and shoes.  There's no wear (like you see in the charity shops) and I'm chuffed as you like.  Beat that Matalan. Oh, you can't.

I then managed to find (this took a good search) for Phoebe, some Next brown suede boots knee height with a zip, 6cm block heel, square toe, size 9, as new condition....  £5.  What's more, they fit her and she likes them.  I completed her outfit with as new condition Next black boot cut jeans, £3.

This is nearest image I could find for Phoebe's boots.  Hers are chocolate brown suede with a  squarer heel.  Height about right, though.  These ones cost £75 on the Next website at the moment.
I hope you don't all go rushing down there tomorrow, taking all my best buys. Maybe I should have kept quite...

Keep it sweet. ;)  Kat


No comments:

Post a Comment