Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday 22 January 2013

We have all the time in the world...

or so my children would appear to think.

Trying to get them ready to do anything, even something that they want to do, is certain to raise my blood pressure. You'd think it would get easier as they got older, but no.  It seems that there are a million ways to distract them from the task in hand, distractions that had been nowhere to be seen until I say 'are you ready?'  'I just' is the first reply, or 'Phoebe said' or 'Tom did' or any excuse to not be  waiting by the front door when I ask them.

Just how military do you need to be to achieve co-operation? How much bribery goes on? How much cajoling and pleading and begging? How much shouting, blowing your top, bursting a blood vessel?  Why can't they just do as they're told, when they're told?  Sometimes I cope, and frankly other times I don't think I do. And that's all part of a normal day, all part of the usual routine, all part of the same old same old.  Getting ready for school.

They seem to live on another planet, in another time zone, in a different reality.  No matter that we discussed it the night before, and they were woken up in plenty of time, they have an uncanny ability to lose track of time, to let time slip through their hands, to waste time, to let time slip away, to dawdle, amble, and suspend their reality so that seconds pass like minutes, minutes pass like hours and hours pass like days.

I envy them.

When you're my age, time is precious, there's never enough time, time flies by too quickly, and the million other cliches that mean you regret the time you've wasted in the past.  What time passed is past and cannot be retrieved. You can't bank it or save it.  You can't buy it or hold onto it.  You don't realise the value of it until it's gone.

So I try my best.  Not to waste time.....  and you're reading this, so you'll have to tell me, is this a waste of time?   I hope not.  So, quickly then, more dogwalking in the snow.

Roly barking at the 'tin man' scarecrow in field off Wantage Park

birds scared, job done!

Here's the Wantage version of the 'Cresta Run' - the central avenue of beech trees in the park has a tarmac path, which when the snow/freeze conditions are right, and enough brave souls have gone down the track, becomes treacherously slippery...
from the top, looking down...
What alarms me is at the bottom there's a chain link fence, with a gate, and I wonder whether they open the gate or use it as a brake?


Anyway, I'm nice and snug/smug in my snow boots - they were another bargain find a couple of years ago in the Helen and Douglas House Charity Shop in Town.  Don't remember how much they were, not more than £10, but great value, and perfect for the snow. They get quite a few comments as well, and I'm always happy to make people smile :)


 Looking forward to leaving these grey days behind, but it's snowing again tonight, so we'll see what the school run looks like tomorrow.

Early night tonight, want to make further progress with The Sense of an Ending. Half way through, so want to get on and finish is soon.  Compelling reading, I want to know what happens next.

Keep it sweet y'all!  Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment