Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday 20 January 2013

More daze than snow...

Up at 8.30am.  It's Sunday, and I got a good night's sleep and a lie-in!  Did I sleep well because Simon's gone to the USA and didn't steal the duvet last night?  I know it's a long way to go, but sometimes...  or did I sleep well because when he got up at 4.10am on Saturday morning, and left the house at 5am to get to the airport in time my sleep was broken and I felt knackered all day???

It's snowing again, and feels like a slow morning motivating the children to do all the necessary.  Which is a positive spin on me nagging them - get up, are you getting dressed before or after breakfast?  Come and have breakfast.  Have you brushed your hair/teeth?  washed your face? made your bed? got your wellies on? Are you coming for the dog-walk?  Why not?  What are you going to do instead?  Well, Tom and I will go and you can make those cookies you got the ingredients for.  Have you had your breakfast?  Please put your bowl in the sink. Try not to make a mess.  Tom, have a wee before we go out, and so on, and so forth.

After I'd put the clothes washing in the washing machine, filled and turned the dishwasher on, made leek and potato soup (for lunch), Tom and I took Roly for a walk, and we left Phoebe to make her Banana and White Chocolate Chunk Cookies.

Dog walking with Tom is a bit surreal.  Mostly entertaining, but sometimes the stream of consciousness conversation, whereby his mouth emits the stream of consciousness from his 6 year old boy brain just wears you down.  I can't keep up with his latest fad, his latest obsession, the latest Moshi Monster Moshling which one do you like Mummy, I don't really know, what about the googreen one, is that special, yes that's special and ultra rare like when kiki said to burney about the twistmas present, look what's Roly doing, I really like Monsuno when the something (at this stage I usually tune out as I'm mentally worn down trying to keep up).  Puts me in mind of a pinball machine...

Two things of interest on the dog walk.  Down the Letcombe Footpath for a change.  Roly met a deerhound.  I know it was a deerhound because I asked the people on the other end of the lead whether it was a wolfhound or a deerhound, and they said deerhound.  The fact that Roly almost fit underneath him sort of gave the game away... here's a picture for you, not one I took, but will give you an idea nonetheless.


Second thing of interest was on the way back Tom and I cut through the King Alfred's playing fields.  The stream skirts the field and defines the boundary with the farmer's field the other side.  There's a width of overgrown woodland by the stream, which couldn't be playing field because of the slope.  Over the years this area has been infiltrated by the local youngsters with their bmx bikes.  We've seen them there in the summer and they've built quite a course.  Some of the jumps are as tall as me, with a gap between them as wide as my arm span.  Which is fine, if a little scary - not the jumps in themselves, built up from the earth they've dug up - but the fact that they're positioned so closely between the trees, and there's little or no margin for error that I can see....

So, Tom's in there exploring and we spot a fire burning quite nicely in the gap between one of the jumps.  Wierd.  It's 11.30am and no sign of anyone else nearby.  Tom is fascinated and throws handful after handful of snow into the fire, which does absolutely nothing to it, bedded in and ember-endowed as it is.

The snow falling today was the very fine powder stuff again, but there felt like a melt going on all the same.  Forecast to freeze tonight, but schools are open, so back to the usual tomorrow.  Uploaded the sledging photos from the Park.. Yes, it really was this grey looking beneath the cloudy sky.

Wantage Park sledgers in the snow, Jan 2013
the wonders of zoom on my camera!  Phoebe and Tom are there...
I think he missed the snowball.
That's all for now.
Time for bed and more of Julian Barne's 'The Sense of an Ending'.

Thanks for reading, keep it sweet, Kat  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment