Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday 1 January 2013

New Year Revolutions



I don't make resolutions - they would inevitably get broken into.

But I will try to be better.  By that I mean more positive. Which is difficult for me.  I've always been negatively motivated. In that I know what I don't want, but I've never known what it is that I want.

I finished reading Lady Chatterley's Lover....  I was more impressed by the overall anti-war tone of the story than the supposed scandal of the sex scenes.  Yes, it's ambitious in the description of how the physical sex act feels, in trying to explain what effect it has on the participants. Yes, some of the language is absolutely filthy, and to my mind it didn't add much to the story. What I felt was more interesting was that it was written in 1928 and Lawrence died in 1930, and it's prophetically, overwhelmingly about doom and gloom, the hardships of the mining community, the downward spiral of the marriage of the Chatterleys for obvious reasons, and obviously the mood of the time was of incredible pessimism.  I'll have to look up on Wikipedia the reason why it was banned.  Interesting. I'm pleased I've now read it.

Since then I've 'slummed it' with non-fiction 'The Doctor will see you Now' by Max Pemberton. Humorous medical memoir of junior doctor in modern times. Eye-opening and eye watering in equal measure.

I'm now reading 'One Day' by David Nicholls, which is easy going, easy reading and quite enjoyable so far. I want to know what happens to Emma and Dexter.

The Christmas break has been busy, of course, with quite a lot of travel.  We learned that taking the dog with us on the 200 mile trip to Lancashire to collect the children from grandparents' house, and then return home was quite difficult in my new Skoda Roomster - not a roomy as the Honda CRV, but much more economical to run.  However, the children's bickering means fewer long trips, or  leaving the dog behind - either way it's expensive.

We also learned that a 'quick trip to Ikea' takes on average 6 hours.  This is because it's 1 hr to get there/come home.  Then queueing for the car park, and finding a parking space takes an extra 40 minutes. Then queuing for a quick lunch is tricky if you get in the wrong queue (we didn't want meatballs...).  Then the usual let's walk you round the store/display area via the longest route, find your items in marketplace and guess what, let's queue again to pay for the things.  

That said, Phoebe's bedroom is much improved, and the new desk in the study is a triumph!

I'm really looking forward to getting back to work on the 3rd, and even more looking forward to the children returning to school on the 8th.  Just how are you supposed to be a working parent if you're not employed in education???  



On a lighter note, it didn't rain today, and I'm going to clean the oven.  
Happy new year to one and all
keep it sweet  :)  Kat




No comments:

Post a Comment