Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Friday 29 March 2013

Did you miss me?

Ah me. The (dis)advantage/joy of having children in private education is the extended holidays they enjoy. There must be some discrepancy there in paying for our children to go to school for less time than the state sector... No, actually, they're taught a longer day, so in the end I'm sure it all adds up, but it does make things difficult when it comes to childcare.

So our two have already had a week off school - most of the (state) schools round here finished yesterday (Maundy Thursday).  I'd hung onto my leave, and have managed to only spend around £100 on childcare for  Tom this Easter. So to make the most of the opportunity we went to the caravan in Carnforth.

Of course.  My parents' static caravan is now the 'family' caravan, administered/organised by my sister and brother, and we took advantage of the early week to go and explore the South Lake District.  When I say we, I mean the children and myself.  Simon's financial year end meant he couldn't take the time off yet - Easter is early this year, hence we left him behind and went by ourselves.

I drive when I have to.  I take care and do my best, but I do find travelling stressful, especially packing the car, dog, children, food, sleeping bags, toys, luggage, and the rest.  Luckily my Mum said they'd have the dog, so we had a 3 night stay without Roly.  Quality time for me and Phoebe and Tom.

Quality time?  You're having a joke. I am aware of the 'idea' of quality time.  I understand the concept. The question I have is whose quality time are we talking about?  I'm pulling your leg.  I'm tired, and entertaining my children has worn me out.  (I write this from my sick bed. no joke.)  Quality time as a concept is for parents who work so much they never spend any time with their children and buy them too many toys/gadgets/whatever to compensate.

I could go on, but that would be complaining.  In a nutshell, we went away, we did too much, I got sick.

Carnforth is a good base for exploring the Lake District. Monday we went to the National Trust property 'Sizergh Hall' and learned a lot about the Strickland Family history, 700 years of the Hall, and lots about Tudor panelling.  Actually we played it quite well. Got there in time for 12.20pm tour, so Hall opened to the public at 1pm as our tour was ending.  Had sandwiches in the car, went back to the Hall to finish the quizzes for the children, then went to teashop for cake.

Lovely gardens (as you'd expect with NT), hens, bees, walks, but all too cold to spend a longer time there.


After the cake, we popped into Kendal itself to do a bit of window/charity shopping.  Again, too cold to stay  too long, so home to the caravan by 5ish.  Got into habit of playing boggle after supper.  Tom now age where he can really play himself, and a good time was had by all... :)


Tuesday we decided to go to Hilltop - the National Trust property which was Beatrix Potter's home in the Lake District. It's located near Sawrey, on the West side of Lake Windermere.  Left the caravan at 9.45am. Got the car ferry at Bowness at 10.30am (no waiting!). Got timed entrance to Hilltop at 11am.

Hilltop is presented as Beatrix Potter left it.  She didn't believe/trust in electricity, so although it was installed after her death, they've kept the lighting dim, so very atmospheric. She loved collecting items from farm sales, so there are quirky items, like the doorknocker on the internal door, and the Chinese chest.  There are also large oil paintings which she inherited from her childhood home in London, and which seemed a little incongrueous to my mind.  There was a guide available in each room, but you wandered round as you liked.
This didn't take much time, and we were done by 11.45am.

Outside Hilltop - Beatrix Potter's home
Mr McGregor's Garden (from Peter Rabbit) in the snow...
My energy levels were starting to flag, so we stopped for lunch at Low Sizergh Barn - Farm Shop and Tea Rooms. Very good. Would go again and recommend you to try if you're in the area.

After lunch we thought we'd try Morecambe.  However, the cold wind and early 'season' meant not much to do.  That didn't stop the children from burning off some energy on the promenade and the beach and pier.

the weather's lovely!  




Back to the caravan by 5pm again and then spent Wednesday at Grandma and Grandad's before returning to Wantage on Thursday.  Went downhill with heavy cold, cough, headache, earache, and generally feeling unwell. Difficult to manage children, so put myself to bed on arrival, and haven't felt like getting up since.

Hope to be in better spirits next time I write.

time for a nap.  Kat.

No comments:

Post a Comment