Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday 18 March 2013

Stop

this train (of thought), I want to get off!

My inner conversation was going ten to the dozen Sunday morning, so I made some notes in an attempt to express the malcontent of a middle-aged mother.  And it's difficult for me to assess whether this is truly how I 'feel' or whether I was just hostage to hormones (again), so I wish you luck with this one....

Sunday morning we awoke to snow.  Middle of March and the daffodils just poking their heads out, and it snowed. And snowed.  Thick snow. Heavy snow.  Big snowflakes you could catch on your tongue if you wanted to.  For three hours. Not forecast.

No matter..... it's Sunday.  But.  The thought train pulled into the station and set off with me on it.  (On one).  How much more can the ground take?  It's already soaking wet from Friday (and hasn't yet recovered from last year), so I slipped along the garden to let the hens out, and I skidded round the Park walking the dog.  No-one else wanted to come.  Funny that.


And I wanted to shout at the snow and the weather.  Stop!  Enough.  It's all f**ked up.  The weather is  screwy.  Global warming. There should be a global warning.  Oh yes, there was, only no-one did anything about it.

Who are these 'no-ones'?  Politicians in the main, and business men pushing for profit. Growth above everything, progress. Push push push.  Where did it start? The Industrial Revolution? The Greeks? Romans? Incas? Ancient Civilisations? .... Who's to blame?

So the train took me back to the cavemen.  To our very essence.  Hunter-gatherer and mother nurturer.  The essential difference. The need for man to provide and mother to breast-feed the babies.  The basic difference is biological.  Women can't hunt when there is child suckling.  So they stay at home and look after the children.  And men have been responsible for the progress outside the home, because they were outside the home.  And on this train of thought, to my eyes, not  much has changed since then.

Why did it bother me so?  This so-called 'progress'?  A lot of good has come from men's innovations, ingenuity and invention.  A lot of bad also.  And is this all too much for my mind to comprehend? On a Sunday morning in the snow? Don't lose it now, stay on track... So-called progress.

Yes.  It's the soap -vs- shower creme debate.
lovely soap I'm using at the moment, I happily recommend it!
I'm firmly on the side of soap.  Much less packaging.  Easier to hold when it's in your hand. Takes up less space and lasts longer.  (It lasts longer because you don't lose it slipping down the plug hole if you accidentally drop it, unlike shower creme which slips out of the palm of my hand never to be seen again - grrrrr).  And when the shower creme's empty you can't get a re-fill as such (apart from The Body Shop).  Not very environmentally friendly if you ask me.

And I'm not very impressed with Olay's face cream packaging, which comes in a plastic bottle with a push button squirter thing, and leaves at least 0.5cm of cream in the bottom of the bottle when you get to the end of it.  I'm boycotting it from now on, and have moved onto 'Simple' brand, packaged in sensible jars with screw lids.  Only quibble I have here is it's difficult to tell the day cream apart from the night cream - I had to write day/night in indelible marker on the lids as both jars same size and have white lids.  I digress.

I feel we've sleep-walked into the world we're in.  There are so many things I disagree with. So many principles I've got problems with.  And so little in the way of protests to protect us from following this ill-fated pathway of progress.  There's a conspiracy of greed.  A conspiracy of growth.  A conspiracy of silence.

There.  I've thought it out-loud.  I'm anti-consumer.  And because I'm anti-consumer I'm also invisible and voiceless.  I don't count.  My bucks don't bang.  Because I don't have many and because I use them carefully....

... and then it stopped snowing...

I got off the thought train and I got on with the rest of my day and was thankful that the ride had stopped.  Is this really the way my mind is racing these days?  Because it reminds me of being a teenager, but obviously, with my age, it's in reverse.

Late again, and I've too much to do, as always.  Keep it sweet!  Kat.





No comments:

Post a Comment