Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Arachno, no, yes actually, I like spiders....

It's a funny thing, Mother Nature.  First truly foggy morning of the Autumn.  Heavy dew, and the mist visible half-way down the garden, but somehow moves away and sneaks up behind you as you walk towards it...  As I got to the 'orchard' to let the hens out I was charmed by the work the spiders had done overnight.  I'm sure the cobwebs weren't there yesterday...

One cobweb in particular had me marvelling at it in wonder.  It was a long single thread, hanging overhead between two apple trees, and a good 5 paces distance.  The thread was jewelled with tiny dew drops and if there hadn't been so much mist obscuring the light I'd have got my camera out.  As it was I got my 7 yr old son to have a look at it and we both wondered together how did the spider do that?  Did it get a lift with a bird, did it have special springy feet, or did it have a mini helicopter to help it?  We'll never know, and I think I like it all the more for that.

But it didn't stop there.  Whilst I was walking the dog round the cricket/playing fields in Faringdon, I noticed more cobwebs.  Were they there yesterday?  I couldn't say.  It wasn't foggy yesterday, and I did the same circuit with the dog, but were there this many cobwebs then?

Funnel cobwebs in the long grass by the skate park.  Classic cobwebs everywhere glistening with the moisture from the air.  And cobwebs that seemed to want to hold the thistle seed heads in on themselves, cobweb blankets filled with fluffy stuff, thistle-down smothered in silken threads.  Why did they do that?  Why now?

I'll take my camera tomorrow, and see what I can snap, but I'm certain the light this morning wouldn't have been any good.

ttfn.  Kat  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment