Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday 15 September 2013

Friday the thirteenth...

So the saying goes that 'things' come in threes.  And the 'things' that come in threes are usually 'bad things'....   It is also usually accepted that 'bad things' may happen on the 13th, and on Friday the 13th in particular....  Now, I wouldn't say that I am usually or unusually suspicious, but read on and let's see if what I relate is just coincidence.

Our lodger, bless her, has been known to be a little accident prone (in as much as she maybe has a tendency to break things.  Like the time she drove off with the coffee cup on the roof of her car. Needless to say it didn't stay on the roof of the car...).

On Thursday she apologised for breaking the catch on the door of the microwave oven in the kitchen, so for the moment the microwave doesn't work.  Not entirely a surprise, as the door had been feeling stiffer than usual for a while.  I tried to glue it back together to see if it helped.  It didn't.  The catching blob shape on the catch detached itself to the internal workings of the slot it engaged with, and is now lost.  The engineer will be here on Saturday.

On Friday (the 13th) I broke the kettle.  More of a nuisance, but not really a problem as I'd got a 3 year warranty from Argos, so a replacement was easy to come by.  What was irritating was the fact that I'd already replaced the same kettle (with the same model) after the same fault in January.  At about 6 months of use of this kettle the quick-boil 1-cup facility goes 'pop' if you drain it entirely after boiling and then fill with cold water.  I don't know about you, but this seems a design fault to me.  Replaced it with a different brand the following day, no quibble from Argos.

And the third thing?  On the evening of Friday (the 13th), our lodger put her head round the door, looked dejected and like she was about to cry, and said that she'd clipped my car (with hers).  What can you do?  It'll be fixable, and in daylight shows a scuff of exchanged paints and a pimple and hairline crack on my back bumper...  but it's a hassle.  C'est la vie?

On a lighter note, at work in the Library on Saturday I was delighted to try to find a book for a 10-yr old boy I'd not met before.  He was in with his mother and (as it turned out) younger half-sister.  His demeanour impressed me as he was polite, calm, confident and thoughtful.  Not adjectives I'd normally associate with 10-yr old boys, and thus far my experience working in the library has shown me that a classful is usually a handful, and class visits need to be carefully planned, but I'm ever hopeful of meeting a nice one, and 'O' was a nice as you could wish for.

He was looking for a 'Percy Jackson', ah, that's Rick Riordan, I'll check the shelves for you. No sorry, our copies are out, did you want to reserve one?  No thanks, I'll try and find something.  Have you seen this one?  (Inkheart, Cornelia Funke).  No.  Looks good.  Thanks.  I quite like football books, there's one with (I can't remember the character name, but I looked it up on keyword search, and found the author, Dan Sheldon?, but we didn't have copies).  Umm.  Have you read Harry Potter?  Yes, read them all when I was 8. (wow!)  I like the look of this 'Zom-B' Darren Shan. That may not be a good choice for you at the moment.  That title's 'older teen' as it's got a sticker 'teen+'. It's a good idea to try just 'teen' stickered ones as they're crossover from junior and will be more suitable.  Have a look at this one - Holes, Louis Sachar - I read it recently and really enjoyed it, and I've a 12-yr old daughter who read it as well. It's a modern classic, well written, a good story with a couple of good twists....

Eventually, in between serving other customers/borrowers, and keeping my eye on him, it ended up with him borrowing 'Bootleg' by Alex Shearer.  the blurb goes like this:

The Good for You Party is improving the health of the nation. Fruit and vegetables are compulsory and chocolates are banned. When best friends Smudger and Huntly discover an overlooked stock of cocoa and sugar, their secret chocolate-making business takes off fast. Can they stay ahead of the law?

I await his verdict with anticipation.

perched on my car ariel..  difficult zoom, best I could manage!
Night night y'all.  Kat  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment