Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday 21 October 2013

Driving a bus

Well, not actually a bus, but that's what it feels like.

So we finally got my little Skoda Roomster car's rear bumper fixed (see post:  Friday the 13th).

not my car, but my (basic) model, and colour :)
The insurance people said they'd give me a 'like for like' to keep me mobile during the period my car was in the body repair garage.  OK I thought.

The actual logistics were a little time-consuming, but hey-ho. So on Friday at around 10.30am, my car was collected from my driveway by the repairing garage man, and he drove it away, up to Bicester... which is the insurer's approved agent for this area.  Not as local as I'd have liked, but then it was out of my hands.

At 11.30am, the car hire people arrived at my house to collect me and take me to their distribution hub on the Botley Road in Oxford.  Arrived, went through the paperwork, gave a £1 deposit on my debit card, even though the car hire is being paid for by the insurers.

I was then presented with my 'like for like' vehicle - a Hyundai i800.  err.... Excuse me???


Like-for-like???  In what way is this like-for-like?  Well, it appeared it was this... or an executive saloon, which had no option for fitting the dog... so I've been pootling round in this monster vehicle since Friday.  I felt like the Wantage mafia, what with its tinted windows!

The children, however, loved it. They were in the back row (it's got a back row!) like a shot, and I properly felt like a chauffeur.  Great.  It drinks diesel like the CRV we had used to drink petrol, so that's a lesson, still, as least I'd something to drive.

Things got worse on Sunday, however, when we'd arranged to go dog-walking with friends.  It was raining. Heavily. No problem, we're English, a bit of rain doesn't put us off.  Raincoats, wellies, and everything in the back, and PLENTY of space.

I didn't even feel guilty about putting the dog in the back because I'd got an old duvet which I'd put aside as dog bedding, so that came into good use to line the ample bootspace, and protect the interior.

Just as well I did.  The faffing around which it took to get everyone togged up was too much for Roly to bear, the excitement was all too much, the idea we'd forgotten him had him whining, and by the time we let him out... he'd pee'd in the car.  Luckily the duvet took the brunt and soaked it up well and good.

So, today, Monday they've delivered my car back to my driveway this afternoon while I was at work. They were going to post the keys through the letterbox, but luckily Phoebe's at home on half-term, so no problem, and I've to return the hire vehicle tomorrow.

After that it's Tom's school Halloween disco, and then we're off on a mini-break 'up North', 2 nights in the caravan in Carnforth again, and then a night with my parents, and a night with my sister in Southport, and possibly a night with Isaac's family in Bristol, and then Tom's staying in Bristol for a sleepover, and I'm back to work on Monday.

I'll need a holiday to recover after all that.

Be seeing you!  Kat  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment