Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Wednesday 30 October 2013

The 590 miles round trip.... part one.

There are, of course, advantages and drawbacks to things, usually, but not always, in equal measure.  For instance.  This half-term week-end my husband was competing in 'The Original Mountain Marathon' - a 24 hours yomp in the Brecon Beacons in Wales.  He claims he's not having a mid-life crisis, but I'm not too sure myself.

Anyway, I decided to get away with the children.  The opportunity was there to have a couple of days in the caravan at Carnforth, then drop in on my parents, 'Grandma and Grandad' in Blackburn, stay a night with my sister in Southport, and then pop down to Bristol so that Tom could have a sleep-over with his friend Isaac....

Sounds good when you say it like that.  Not so good to be the sole driver of fractious children holed up in a small (economical) car for 200+ miles in one go.  Actually, we stopped at 100 miles (M6 Toll Services), as I'm a sensible driver, and we needed the 'facilities'.  I don't do much distance driving, and consequently I'm always amazed at the sheer volume of traffic on the motorways, and less impressed at the poor quality of the driving on display there.

Nerves suitably jangled from the stresses of being sole driver/parent for the few days we arrived at the caravan 5.30pm in time to make supper and set everything up.

Actually it wasn't that bad at all. We were blessed with lovely weather, and my teenage daughter's reluctance to rise early meant I had opportunity to experiment with my camera's settings.  I've been meaning to remember to do this for a while now, and I'm quite pleased with the results.  Much clearer sharper close-ups...

Ferns in October sunlight
Close-up fallen oak-leaf


Local sheep
Experimenting with movement in the stream

Looking towards Morecambe from the bay/beach
When the weather is kind this part of the south Lake District can be very lovely.  We spent part of the morning in Carnforth at the Railway Heritage Centre - which is where they filmed 'Brief Encounter'.  A nostalgia trip for the steam fans and film fans alike, this attraction had plenty for young and old alike.  

After lunch we went to Morecambe and the children burned off some energy at the Happy Mount Park Adventure Ground - larger sturdy wooden based climbing frames, zip wire, tyre swings etc - free to all, and obviously well used.  If it gets kids outside and active, then I'm all for it.

As the tide was ebbing we went onto the pebbly beach for a bit of stone skimming and for me a rare opportunity to watch the birds.  Sadly, I've never enough time to indulge properly in this, but I applied my camera's zoom to try and capture the action...


Oyster catchers on Morecambe Bay
Fish and chips on the way home, as tradition dictates, and we slept well until the rain woke me at 4.45am.  We tidied and left by mid-day to go and visit my parents.  And I'll write more about that next time...

Night night y'all,  Kat  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment