Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Friday 12 April 2013

A rude awakening... literally!

Increasingly I find it difficult to go back to sleep if I've woken up or been woken up in the 'middle of the night'.  Sometimes I wake up at 4am, 4.30am, 5am. Is this just aging, my body changing, the birds singing, or some disturbance outside that I'm too bleary-eyed to investigate?

Sometimes I woken by my husband's early start - a couple of times a month he's in the shower at 4am so he can catch the first flight to Dublin, or Amsterdam.  The shower's located next to our room, so I can hear the patter of the water splashing down as he runs it to get the right temperature.

This morning, at 4.30am I struggled to identify what the noise was and where it was coming from.  Eventually, although it must have only been seconds rather than minutes, I realised that Phoebe's radio was on, and seemed to be increasing in volume, playing 'We are the Champions' by Queen.  Grrrrrr.  I put my light on, went to her room, put her light on and found the source of the noise.  'What????' said Phoebe, sounding how I felt!  I turned the radio off at the socket (couldn't find the on/off switch), and went back to bed.

The problem, when I wake up at this time in the morning, is that I can't get back to sleep.  I assume my usual 'go to sleep position', I'm the right temperature for me (nice and cosy), and I recognise that I'm still tired.  But I can't seem to drift off.

In the past I've said to myself, well I'll get up and do something, read the newspaper, do the ironing, but in recent months I've tried staying put and going back to sleep.  I must slip into a sort of dazed slumber, because when the alarm goes off at 6.45am, I'm very tired, very grumpy and very resentful.  Grrr.  Any ideas anyone?

We're in the final days of the Easter holidays.  Hooray!  They do seem to go on.  Yesterday I took the children to Buscot Park - a National Trust property fairly nearby, which we'd not properly visited. The last time we went we did the gardens and tea-room, so yesterday we did the house. I'd taken my camera, but when I came to take photos of the children in the gardens I found that I'd left the battery charging in the kitchen at home. Bother.

So to the House. What a treasure trove!  It's packed with antique furniture, art (old and new), objet's d'art and objet's de virtu, magnificent views, tromp d'oeil, and personal items of Lord Faringdon's family. However, the piece de resistance, the magnet, the thing that surprised me, moved me and blew my mind was 'the Saloon'.  I didn't realise how much I liked the pre-Raphaelites until I viewed 'The Legend of the Briar Rose' by Edward Burne-Jones.

Here's the Wikipedia link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Briar_Rose

It was a privilege to spend time looking at the lifesize, beautiful, romantic, colourful panels, and I'm looking forward to taking my parents next time they're down this way.  Don't know if it'll be to my Father's taste, but my Mother paints, and I'm sure she''ll like it as well.

Time for breakfast!  Have a good day y'all. Kat.

No comments:

Post a Comment