Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday 21 April 2013

Self-inflicted .....

.... pain again.

There was a time in my life when self-inflicted would have meant an almighty hangover.  Not a regular occurrence, but I can remember my parents not having any sympathy on the odd occasion I'd visited them on 'the morning after' - when everything was spinning and the headache competed with the sick feeling in my stomach. 'Self-inflicted? no sympathy', I remember my mother saying to my younger siblings as they went through the same giddy phase.

There was also a time in my life when self-inflicted pain would have been from working out too much at the gym.!!! Seems a lifetime ago, and a different life.

Today's pain has been in gainful gardening: lovely lawn-mowing, terrific turf turning, crazy compost chucking, wanton weeding and steadfast seed-drilling. This weekend's weather has been so mild that the call of the garden superceded all else. (Well, almost, but that's later down).

Yesterday my left thumb caught a few wacks as I hammered staples into a fence panel to re-position it.  We then had the happy game of 'catch the hen', as I had decided to re-locate them into my overgrown veg patch.  This serves two purposes.  Firstly it lets their usual area have some time off - it'll need aerating, filling and re-seeding.  Secondly, they can have a good scratch in the veg patch, and do my weeding for me(!), and fertilize the ground at the same time.

Today, Phoebe and I decided to save the strawberry plants from the hens (the ones I didn't have enough netting for).  We've made a makeshift raised bed - raised off the ground about 2 feet high - so Roly doesn't pee on them. So I spent this morning digging out strawberry plants and passing them to Phoebe, and once that was done I decided to chuck the compost from the compost bin into the hens old patch before they re-distributed it themselves.  Bend the knees, not the back!

After lunch I mowed the lawn at the back, and the orchard, as Simon had mowed the front yesterday.  However, it seemed a good opportunity to find the stepping stones in the front lawn......  There are about a dozen small paving slabs positioned in the front lawn from the gate to the front door.  The weather last year was so wet that the lawn was hardly mown at all, and the stepping stones had all but disappeared.  Hands and knees job this, tug at the turf, cut it back to size, and then recycle - to the hens patch at the back. Took about 40 minutes.

I then decided to go to one of my favourite places - the tip! Filled the car, got Tom, and off we went.  However, when we got there, it seems that everyone else had been doing the same as me, and there was a queue of 2 cars on approach on my side of the road, and 6 cars on opposite carriageway.   I wasn't in the mood to wait, so we turned around and came home.  I should have guessed it was going to be busy, but I've not seen that before!  Not too miffed, as I drive that way to school every day, so Roly won't get his walk tomorrow morning until I've come home (after the tip!).

On top of this glorious weather, we also had a house-guest. Richard, Simon's oldest friend, was this side of the world, and paid us a visit.  He normally resides in Singapore, and co-incidentally it was his birthday.  So I managed to rustle up a birthday cake (4-egg Victoria sponge) in between all the outdoor activity (and 2 lots of washing dry on the line).

Felt a little creaky this morning, but once I got going was OK. The problem is I took Tom to Tae-kwon-do tonight, and sitting down for 1 hour after all the gardening today was the killer.  I've been stiffening up ever since, and I've already had a bath to relax things as well.  Well, I've only got myself to blame, but the garden's starting to look cared for, and that's a good thing.

Night night, keep it sweet, Kat.

No comments:

Post a Comment