Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Monday 1 April 2013

Tea

There's something about tea.  There's nothing else quite like it.  Nothing hits the spot, for me, like a good cup of tea.

It's not an exact science.  Some cups are better than others.  Sometimes it's the time of day.  Or the cup/mug.  Or the fact that someone else made it for you.  Or you just need it, like an addict.

It can be dreadful.  Think polystyrene cup from a vending machine.  Think the tea that comes from the dispenser on the table at the back of the room during the training course/conference.  Those sinister black and stainless steel bulked up thermos thingys, with the spout, and the lever you press to extract the stewed brown liquid that you crave and at the same time despise because it's not fresh.

In fact thermos tea is invariably awful, but you still take it to the point-to-point because at least it's hot and didn't cost £2.50 a cup to be terrible, and you can drink it in the car out of the wind..

But when you get a good cup of tea it's like sunshine, music, and birdsong.  A good cup of tea will lighten your mood, and settle your nerves.  It'll break the ice, give you something to do, bring some joy and start the day right.  It gives you time.  To think, meditate, mull things over, plan, scheme, or you can simply use the time to warm your hands on the cup.  And then, when the cup is finished, you can act.

I sometimes liken it to a cigarette.  I don't smoke myself, but I imagine a good cup of tea is akin to the 'hit' or 'rush' you get from nicotine.  I daresay I'm addicted to tea, and when we've been travelling I have felt withdrawal symptoms if tea is not freely available.  Certainly in other countries they don't 'get' tea.  How to make it, how to serve it, just any of it.

And some of my cups of tea are habitual (like cigarettes?), the first of the day, the first at work, and so on.  But there's still something about it.  You can have too much.  I peak at around 4 cups a day.  I sometimes hit 5, but rarely finish the fifth, as if my body is saying steady on there.  I move onto Redbush tea in the evening (no caffeine) but it's no substitute.


And I have my favourite, Twinings Everyday, but can't always afford it. So I shop around, and buy it when it's on special offer, and make do at other times.  Tea bags in the mug are fine and convenient.  Tea leaves are too strong and messy to clear up afterwards.  Tea pots are a pain if they don't pour, but useful if serving a few people at the same time.

Which is what I'll be doing at the weekend.  We're helping out at the White Horse Harriers annual Half-Marathon on Sunday, and I'm on tea 'duty'.  We've got a good team, and a good system, so looking forward to that.  Will need to make a cake to bring, but that's no bother. Phoebe's on 'luggage' duty, and Simon and Tom are lead car again.  It's a family affair.

Back to work tomorrow, but the children are still on Easter Hols.
Night night.  Kat :)


No comments:

Post a Comment