Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Sunday 14 April 2013

Shortcut to ...... pain!

It's more dangerous than you'd think.  Dogwalking.  Last year walking Roly round the Folly in Faringdon I took a shortcut through the dry ditch, slipped, and sprained my ankle rather painfully.  As it wasn't broken (I could walk, just) I didn't go to A&E, but I followed the PRICE technique (Pain relief, Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) and took things slowly.  Literally.

At around 10 weeks after the incident I was still finding the ankle stiff and lacking in mobility compared to the other ankle, so I took myself off to see Tony, a neighbour, and our local chiropractor, who said I'd got 'calcification' and manipulated it accordingly.  The relief was immediate, and I've not run since.  That's because I'm not all that fond of running, not because of the treatment!

This morning, whilst walking with Roly on the return leg of the Letcombe walk, I decided to climb over a gate.  Roly had jinked round the gap to gaily gallop across the King Alfred's Playing Fields, and it's a quicker way home.  The weather was very close, much much warmer than of late, with a strong wind and spots of rain.  'March winds and April showers' all at the same time.

So how to climb a gate?  Here's a (rather nice!) photo of a gate which is similar in style to the one I climbed over this morning....
www.edulink.networcs.net
Now, picture that style of gate, with a concrete fence post either side, accessing neatly mown school playing fields. Couldn't find a more accurate photo, so bear with me on this.  The bottom half of the gate has chain-mesh over it - to stop people climbing I assume, and possibly deter rabbits.  However the gap Roly went through would let an entire warren of rabbits through, but not an adult woman, so I think it's the former reason.

So I took hold of the concrete post, stepped to the mid-point rail, so far so good.  One leg over, but I'd not really got the twist right to place my advancing foot steadily enough.  Plus it had rained in the night, and I was wearing wellies.... you can see what's coming...I knew what was coming, and couldn't stop.... Whump.  I crashed with my left thigh and shoulder onto the concrete post, and wacked my right calf on the top of the fence rail.  Ow!  That smarts.

It's been an uncomfortable day.  Nothing more than bruises, and lost dignity.

On a brighter note, we visited The Vyne (National Trust), near Basingstoke this afternoon. They've got a new 'Hobbit' themed play area for under 10's, and had an exhibition of the gold Roman ring which is said to have inspired Tolkein to write The Lord of the Ring.  Sadly, the play area was so new the turf still showed its seams, and with the recent rain squelched and squished and was at risk of coming apart. However, the design is lovely, and all the children were really enjoying exploring the tunnels and treehouse and playing with the sluice gate rill.


Here's the sunset this evening from the bottom of my garden.  Hope the old saying holds true....

Night night, thanks for reading, Kat :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment