Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Friday 3 May 2013

I like my routine.

I don't like my routine being distrupted.  Which makes things a tad difficult from time to time.  I've come to understand that this routine is my way of measuring achievement. Am I on top of it? Or as they say around here and, I believe, in horsey circles, 'up together'.

Well, mostly it takes a lot of effort on my part for the house, and consequently me, to feel 'up together'.  No sooner have I mopped the floor then it rains and the dog's paw-prints ruin my hard work.  No sooner have I emptied the dishwasher then there are dirty pots again.  No sooner have I got the clothes washing done, then there's another load waiting in the basket.... it never ends... There's always all this 'stuff' to do which would seem to be inconsequential - until it's not done ... you get the picture.

And, yes I nag the children to 'put it away' or 'put it in the dishwasher' or 'pick it up off the floor' and 'put it in the washing basket'.  And my stock answer to their perennial question of 'have you seen my?' or 'where's?' is:  'Where you left it.'

So my routine is a guage, a measuring stick, a way of handling the chaos of family life and checking that I'm on top of it.  And if I'm on top of it (is the house up to my standards? and believe you me, they're not particularly high standards...) I can reward myself with something I like doing. Make a cake. Do some gardening.  Spend/waste an hour mooching around the charity shops.... and at the weekend, go to somewhere nice and National Trust with the family - got to get our money's worth.

Therefore by the very nature of travel I am discombobulated. Is that the right word?  I am out of sorts.  Uneasy. A little anxious.  Why? Because I don't like to leave my comfort zone, because my routine will be disrupted, and consequently there will be a pile of stuff waiting for me when I get back... Either from this weekend's adventure to Cardiff (we'll see what awaits me on my return), or from a week away with the family.  There's always more stuff that will need doing, and until I win the lottery I don't see any way round it.

Borra dar.  Kat.

1 comment:

  1. We're one and the same on this one. I LOVE my routine, and changing it or going on holiday completely throws me off. Even Bank Holiday's are a nightmare for me, because I like the 5/2 structure of my week! Funny how people often think if you have a routine, you're boring. My philosophy is - if I know I love and enjoy something the way it is...why would I deviate from doing it on a regular and consistent basis? Seems sensible to me :)

    P.S. You write wonderfully x

    ReplyDelete