Copyright, KatL, What Ho!, 2011-2016.

Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without permission from this blog's author/owner are strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided the full and clear credit is given to me KatL, and 'What Ho!' with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.

Thursday 2 May 2013

On chimneys

That is to say I'm not very impressed by the new houses going up in our locality with fake chimneys added.  There is a recently completed housing development in Wantage, where the false chimneys appear to be made of plywood with a brick-style render, normal chimney pot and then plomped atop the building like a cherry on a cake.  What's the point of that?  (Not the cherry, at least it's edible as well as decorative).

I followed a truck carrying some of these artificial chimneys as I was taking Tom to school the other day.  Where do they get the clingfilm from is what I'd like to know...  Seriously, they'd wrapped the fake chimneys onto the truck with layers of that industrial sized (and presumably industrial strength) clingfilm.  It does make me wonder...

What I don't like about these chimneys is the artifice, the deceit, the posturing.  The purporting to be something it's not.  The airbrushing cosmetic waste of space, time, effort, energy, and resources, the no-value added, the cheapness of it, the fact that decisions were made at the planning and design stage of the process - who thought that was a good idea?  Who's taking a back-hander to design them in? Who's pushing the bribe to include them?  What's behind it all?   Nostalgia?  I don't think so.

Fake chimneys are too twee for words, they're not right and shouldn't be there.  Didn't they teach the mantra 'less is more' at that school of design??  Grr.  I feel better for getting that off my chest!

Busy weekend coming up in Cardiff.  I'm meeting my oldest and dearest girlfriend to celebrate her birthday with her family. And I'm going by myself! Leaving hubbie behind to look after the children, dog and hens..... And I've never been to Cardiff before, so that should be interesting. Will no doubt report when I get back.

Our robin's brood has hatched. Either yesterday or today, and from what I've seen (not much) they're tiny.  Looks like there's about 3, difficult to say as the nest is so deep.  Last year there was a brood with 6, but it's been a much harder winter, so not surprised the brood is smaller.  However, the weather much nicer this week, and plenty of midges around, so the feeding should go well. Will post photo when I've got one...

TTFN.  Kat :)


No comments:

Post a Comment